The Quiet House at Black Mountain College was built in 1942 as a secular space of gathering, meditation, and mindfulness to memorialize Mark Dreier, the son of Ted and Bobbie Dreier, who died in an accident in 1941. Hazel Larsen Archer, faculty of photography, captured the beauty of its design and intention in her photographs, Quiet House Doors (1948). Adam Larsen’s installation recreates the Quiet House doors with projected moving, dappled sunlight within the renovated building as it stands today. The piece asks the question of whether or not a fabrication can elicit an emotional response – akin to the original Quiet House’s intent.
Hazel Archer Larsen Quiet House Doors, 1948.